California employers are required to post several notices and distribute various pamphlets informing employees of their employment rights. Effective January 1, 2023, eight (8) out of eighteen (18) of these required notices will be updated. The eight (8) notices that will be updated are the following:
1. California Minimum Wage;
2. Family Care and Medical Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave;
3. Your Rights and Obligations as a Pregnant Employee;
4. California Law Prohibits Workplace Discrimination and Harassment;
5. Transgender Rights in the Workplace;
6. Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal;
7. Your Rights Under USERRA; and
8. Safety and Health Protection on the Job (Cal/OSHA).
In addition, two required pamphlets will also be updated, effective January 1, 2023:
1. Unemployment Insurance; and
2. Sexual Harassment.
While many of the new posters are not yet available, they are likely to reflect the 2023 changes to California law with respect to an increase in the minimum wage and new protected categories (e.g. reproductive health decision-making). However, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has already released its updated “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster, as detailed in our previous post.
Because these notices and pamphlets are required, California employers should make sure they have updated versions by the January 1, 2023 deadline. As a reminder, even fully remote employees must receive copies of these required postings and pamphlets. More information can be found on the websites for the California Department of Industrial Relations, California Civil Rights Department, Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
We will continue to monitor updates and we encourage employers to reach out if they need assistance with compliance regarding these updated notices and pamphlets.